Sunday, April 28, 2019

Imran Khan & PTI: A need to reset the agenda.



Over twenty years back Imran Khan, two of his friends and myself were engrossed in a discussion on the future of Pakistan in my hotel room in Dubai. Imran was dropping hints that in a couple of days he would announce entering the political arena. I recall telling him then that would it not be better than become the 'Ralph Nader' of Pakistan, like a non political force bringing the government of the time to task of its performance or the lack of it. Late that night he took the flight to Pakistan and within days announced his entry into politics.

I have always said that if one attribute that stood out with Imran it has been his honesty, knowing full well that he accounted for every penny raised for his cancer hospital. I also felt that he was good at inspiring people in his team and yet the challenge would be running a country is radically different from running a country. The past two decades have evolved Imran Khan, from the start up political party to now a party in power in Pakistan. His policies and stance on some issues have warmed my heart, and on others I have had to stop and think about the sagacity of his words.

Today he is heading the government of a very difficult country, which does have enormous potential, and in my first blog after his election I imparted some advice to him (https://aqsher.blogspot.com/2018/07/letter-to-imran-khan.html) highlighting that tackling the economy and setting the foreign policy course are the two most important tasks before him. His successes so have on both fronts have been marginal. While his recent handling of the face off with India has been very good, his faux pas on Afghanistan, the recent press conference in Tehran, and his governments lack of economic direction are disturbing to say the least.

While one can go into specifics here, the fundamental problem lies in the way the PTI governance is being carried out. Though social media may well not be the only way to gauge the mind set of the governing party and its supporters, there is no doubt that Imran's cavalier style effects the proper framing of policy. On foreign policy alone you see the Foreign Office, the Prime Ministers office and the Prime Minister himself issuing statements that clearly indicate a lack of coordination and internal discussion between them.

A large part of me had hoped that Imran Khan would be a cohesive force after becoming Prime Minister. In this sense he has failed as the narrative from the PTI camp seems to suggest an intolerance to criticism. I, even though a well wisher of Imran, run the risk of being attacked on social media for criticizing him here. Imran and the PTI would argue that being inclusive towards political figures of the past who, in their eyes, robbed the nation of its wealth is next to impossible. My simple retort would be by all means accountability should be there and any one who has stolen money or misused public office should be brought to justice. However, this should be through the due process of the law. The national accountability machinery should be used to investigate and then the courts of law should be the ones to determine the fate of such people. Much like predecessor governments NAB seems to be a weapon against those who happen to be opponents and may well have ill gotten wealth.

The atmosphere is becoming toxic in a sense. Exit control lists, assuming all investments are from ill gotten wealth and in a sense short circuiting the due process of law in the aim to bring people to justice who allegedly stole money does have its ramifications on the business environment. Yes Imran Khan wants to clean up things, and that is a laudable task, but there are courts to do that and the effort should not look like its just a witch hunt for certain people. Legitimate investors will obviously be worried if arbitrary actions will come to haunt them for making investments into the country.

Indeed with an external debt of $99 billion and economic numbers across the board looking dismal, there will be a tendency to lean towards the blame game. Economic management in Pakistan has over decades been unhinged. While even the current debt level is around the same level as a percentage of GDP over the past two decades (ranges from 24% to 31% debt to GDP) there is no doubt that there has been a propensity to borrow even when GDP growth has been good. Part of the reason is the tax revenue has been abysmally low. In a country with a workforce of 58 million people the official tax payers who filed returns in 2018 was only 1.4 million!

Clearly what I would have expected Imran Khan to do is to work with the two other major parties on forming a consensus on economic policy and to legislatively overhaul the economic structure. In an environment where PTI feels anyone who is not supporting them is a traitor to the country there will not be any hope of a unified approach to economic reforms. It is time for the rhetorical slandering to be scaled down and for the PTI and its leadership to understand that just as the country united to face the recent threat from India, the same cooperation and mentality is needed to deal with the economic crisis the country faces.

Yes there are differences between the main leadership of the PMLN and PPP with PTI but there is still a possibility for a broad consensus with the rank and file members of both parties to consider a multi-partisan approach to handling issues of national importance. To me resetting the economic agenda is a priority and its great that Imran sees what is good about other countries and wants to learn from China and Iran and others, he must also realize the solutions are well within the intellectual capital available within the country.





53 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been browsing online more than 4 hours today,
yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if
all website owners and bloggers made good content as
you did, the web will be a lot more useful than ever before.
Its like you learn my thoughts! You seem to grasp so much approximately this, like you wrote
the book in it or something. I think that you simply can do with some percent to
power the message home a bit, but other than that, that is magnificent blog.
A fantastic read. I'll definitely be back. There
is certainly a lot to learn about this subject.
I like all the points you've made. http://foxnews.org/

Anonymous said...

And the battle for the Iron Throne begins.

Anonymous said...

If you are going for finest contents like myself, just visit this website all the time since it presents quality contents, thanks

Anonymous said...

Hey I am so excited I found your blog, I really found you by mistake, while I was looking on Askjeeve for something else, Anyhow
I am here now and would just like to say thank you for a fantastic post and a all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design),
I don't have time to go through it all at the minute but I have
saved it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read
more, Please do keep up the fantastic job.

Anonymous said...

Great article! This is the kind of info that are meant
to be shared around the internet. Shame on Google for no
longer positioning this publish upper! Come on over and seek advice from my site .
Thanks =)

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to mention that I have truly enjoyed browsing your weblog posts.
In any case I'll be subscribing for your feed and I'm hoping you write once more soon!

Anonymous said...

This post is genuinely a good one it helps new internet people, who are wishing for blogging.

Anonymous said...

What's up mates, how is everything, and what you want to say on the topic of this paragraph,
in my view its in fact amazing in favor of me.

Anonymous said...

I used to be able to find good advice from your blog posts.

Anonymous said...

This website certainly has all of the information and facts I needed about this subject and didn't know who to ask.

Anonymous said...

It's awesome to pay a quick visit this web site and reading
the views of all mates about this paragraph, while I am also
eager of getting know-how.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for ones marvelous posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you will be a great author.I will always bookmark your blog and will often come back in the foreseeable future.
I want to encourage one to continue your great writing,
have a nice holiday weekend!

Anonymous said...

Asking questions are truly pleasant thing if you are not understanding anything totally,
however this piece of writing gives nice understanding yet.

Anonymous said...

Great post. I was checking continuously this weblog and
I am inspired! Extremely helpful information specifically the final part :
) I deal with such info a lot. I used to be seeking this particular information for a
very lengthy time. Thanks and good luck.

Anonymous said...

Fine way of telling, and nice post to obtain data on the topic of my presentation subject matter, which i am going to convey in academy.

Anonymous said...

Great post. I was checking continuously this blog and I'm impressed!

Extremely helpful information specifically the closing
section :) I care for such information much. I was looking for this
certain info for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

Anonymous said...

I really like reading through an article that can make
people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

Anonymous said...

Hi to all, how is all, I think every one is getting more from this
site, and your views are good in support of
new users.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but good topic.

I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more.
Thanks for great information I was looking for this info for my mission.

Anonymous said...

I every time emailed this blog post page to all my contacts, for the
reason that if like to read it after that my links will too.

Anonymous said...

Quality posts is the crucial to be a focus for the people to pay a quick visit the web
site, that's what this website is providing.

Anonymous said...

This is my first time visit at here and i am truly pleassant to read everthing at one place.

Anonymous said...

I've read a few just right stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting.

I wonder how a lot effort you place to make this kind of magnificent
informative website.

Anonymous said...

Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your article seem to be running off
the screen in Firefox. I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue or something
to do with browser compatibility but I thought
I'd post to let you know. The style and design look
great though! Hope you get the problem resolved soon. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. That is an extremely smartly written article.

I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to learn more of
your helpful information. Thank you for the post.
I will definitely return.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. I was checking constantly this weblog
and I am impressed! Extremely helpful info specially the ultimate part :)
I handle such info much. I was seeking this certain information for a very lengthy
time. Thanks and good luck.

Anonymous said...

I do not know whether it's just me or if everyone else encountering issues with your website.
It appears as if some of the text within your posts are
running off the screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them as
well? This may be a issue with my web browser because I've had this happen before.
Kudos

Anonymous said...

Hey! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers?
My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up
losing several weeks of hard work due to no backup.
Do you have any solutions to protect against hackers?

Anonymous said...

I have to thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this website.
I really hope to view the same high-grade blog posts from you in the future as well.
In truth, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to get
my own, personal website now ;)

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself or did
you hire someone to do it for you? Plz answer back as I'm
looking to construct my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from.

thank you

Anonymous said...

Hello there! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering which
blog platform are you using for this website?
I'm getting tired of Wordpress because I've had issues with
hackers and I'm looking at alternatives for another platform.

I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Many thanks, However I am having troubles with your RSS.
I don't understand why I can't join it. Is there anybody having the same
RSS issues? Anyone that knows the answer will you kindly respond?
Thanx!!

Anonymous said...

When I initially commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now
each time a comment is added I get three e-mails with the same comment.
Is there any way you can remove people from
that service? Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Right here is the perfect site for everyone who wants to understand this topic.
You realize a whole lot its almost tough to argue with you
(not that I really would want to…HaHa).
You certainly put a fresh spin on a topic which has been discussed
for decades. Great stuff, just excellent!

Anonymous said...

Hurrah! At last I got a weblog from where I can genuinely
take helpful data concerning my study and knowledge.

Anonymous said...

Yes! Finally something about clique em próxima página.

Anonymous said...

This page truly has all the info I needed concerning this subject and didn't know who to ask.

Anonymous said...

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something that
I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me.
I'm looking forward for your next post, I'll try to get the hang of it!

Anonymous said...

Great delivery. Great arguments. Keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's what I was exploring for, what a material! present here at this web
site, thanks admin of this site.

Anonymous said...

Quality articles is the key to interest the viewers to pay a visit
the web site, that's what this web page is providing.

Anonymous said...

Post writing is also a excitement, if you know afterward you can write
or else it is complex to write.

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting, You're a very skilled blogger.
I've joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post.
Also, I have shared your site in my social networks!

Anonymous said...

Excellent web site you have got here.. It's hard to find
high quality writing like yours nowadays. I seriously appreciate people like you!

Take care!!

Anonymous said...

Hello there! This post couldn't be written any better!
Reading through this post reminds me of my previous
room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this
write-up to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read.
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Howdy are using Wordpress for your site platform? I'm new to the
blog world but I'm trying to get started and create my own. Do you require any coding
expertise to make your own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous said...

What's up to every body, it's my first pay a visit of this website;
this web site consists of awesome and actually good information designed for readers.

Anonymous said...

Hello! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any issues with hackers?
My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing months of hard work due to
no backup. Do you have any solutions to stop hackers?

Anonymous said...

You have made some decent points there. I checked on the internet for more information about the
issue and found most people will go along with your
views on this site.

Anonymous said...

I have read several excellent stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting.
I surprise how so much attempt you put to make this sort of excellent informative site.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to find out more? I'd care to find out more details.

Anonymous said...

What's Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I
have found It absolutely helpful and it has aided me out loads.
I'm hoping to contribute & aid different users like its aided me.
Great job.

Anonymous said...

What's Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this
I have found It absolutely useful and it has helped me out loads.

I hope to contribute & aid different customers like its helped me.
Good job.